The third trimester has been so sweet to me. I’m really enjoying pregnancy right now – I’m SO excited for Stella to get here but I also kind of don’t want it to end! I *love* learning about new things, so pregnancy has been an educational playground for me hehe. I am making a list of questions to ask my OBGYN in the third trimester and wanted to share. There are so many things on here that I had never even HEARD of pre-pregnancy.
What to Ask in the Third Trimester
1. At this time, will only my husband be allowed in the hospital/delivery room?
2. Do you know what equipment is available at the hospital? Exercise ball, peanut ball, squat bar?
3. Does this hospital offer a walking epidural or just a standard epidural?
If you didn’t know, there are two ways to get an epidural. You can get it done the standard way, or you can get a walking epidural. Essentially, the methods use different drugs, the process is a bit different, and the mother’s mobility is different for each. For a standard epidural, the mother can’t really feel an sensation and can’t move her lower half hardly at all. For the walking epidural, the mother definitely won’t be walkin’ around while giving birth, but there is more control and flexibility of the lower half. It gives you more options and positions for birthing.
4. After I have my epidural, am I allowed to roll to my side to push or only stay on my back?
5. Can you see a pelvic floor specialist before labor? Or do you recommend after?
6. Is it okay to perform self-perineal massage in the next few weeks?
7. Are there exercises or ways to prevent further diastasis recti?
According to the Oxford Dictionary, diastasis recti is the “separation of the muscles along the midline of the abdomen, typically as seen in women during and after pregnancy or (as a congenital anomaly) in newborn babies.” My abs have been splitting during my pregnancy, so I’m trying to be proactive about it, even though many cases do eventually go away by themselves after birth.
I have so appreciated how non-judgmental and kind y’all have been throughout my pregnancy and I always appreciate tips! What else do you think I should ask?? What questions are specific to the third trimester? If you’re looking for more pregnancy content, my hospital bag post is up now (and your comments are so helpful)!