Let’s talk about MOMS. Haven’t you heard them say, “Moms are always right”? No one wants to believe it when they’re little, but Gosh Darn, it’s so true. One thing moms are often right about is skin care. I mean, they’ve lived it and they know. Does anyone else’s mom have INCREDIBLE skin? My mom’s skin is INSANE—always radiant and barely any wrinkles (#goals)!
She’s pretty simple when it comes to her skincare routine and has really figured out what works for her. Fave brand? OLAY. She’s a die-hard fan and has been for over 10 years. Whatever she’s doing, she’s doing well because she looks AH-MAZING So when I asked my mama to share some of her favorite skincare tips, she was happy to oblige. Oh, and it happens to be perfect timing since I need to #GlowUP for my wedding in less than 6 weeks.
Keep reading to hear what Mama Austin said:
1. Less is more. I wash my face with a gentle cleanser and apply night cream before I go to bed every night. I’ve been using @olay for over 10 years and I swear by it. I especially love the anti-aging night cream. You don’t need a TON of products—just the few that are perfect for your skin. Choose quality over quantity.
2. Use facial cleansers with a little exfoliator to reveal a super healthy surface. I use Olay’s micropolishing cleansing infusion facial cleanser in ginger and citrus. It’s gentle and smells fresh. Those little beads or crystals will remove the dead skin and give you a fresh, clean surface to work with.
3. NO RBF! Train your face muscles to relax to prevent wrinkles (especially those eyebrows!). Easier said than done, right? Just try to be more conscious of when you’re straining your face—common triggers are intense concentration, reading, and driving.
4. Don’t touch your face with your hands! (I always got onto Dani about this one). Your hands touch a million things a day, so imagine the dirt, bacteria, and germs you transfer to your skin when you touch your face. Gross!
5. STAY HYDRATED. Drink lots of water and stay hydrated. This is SO important. Don’t let your skin get thirsty. Eight glasses of water per day is the standard benchmark, but even if you can’t reach it, do your best. Hydrated skin is healthy skin.Give your skin a break and go without face makeup and just add a little mascara once or twice a week. Not only is it a nice break from applying a full face of makeup (hello, time saver!), but your skin will appreciate the ability to breathe a bit.
6. COORDINATE YOUR LIFE. Match your mani-pedi. My shortcut for looking pulled together: Get a fresh manicure and pedicure—ideally in coordinating shades. Lots of girls overlook their nails, but it’s such an easy way to add the perfect finishing touch to your look.
7. Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize! No one likes dry, cracked skin—especially in the winter time. Find your favorite lotion or moisturizer and apply it daily, especially after the shower. I like to slather on foot cream and cover with socks for overnight foot skin repair! Voila!
8. SAVE YO’ MONEY. No need to splurge on skincare or makeup—drugstore has everything you need! It’s so true…you can find many equally good products at drugstores and spend a fraction of the price. Especially when you’re still experimenting with brands to find the right products for you.
9. Floss every night because you will live longer! (This is what I told my kids to get them to floss…sneaky sneaky). But guess what? Flossing actually DOES make a bigger difference than most people realize. Your smile is the first thing people see about you, so better make it beautiful!
10. Take makeup off before you go to bed. Do not, I repeat, do NOT go to bed with a full face of makeup—it’s so bad for your skin! Nighttime is the perfect opportunity to let your skin breath and rest…which is pretty hard to do with layers of foundation, blush, concealer, eye shadow, etc.
11. Eat your veggies! A lot of times when Dani would break out, we realized it was triggered more by her diet than her skincare routine. You know how your stomach feels when you eat a bunch of junk—your skin feels the same way. A balanced diet is super important for healthy skin.
12. Wear SPF everyday even if you’re not going outside. Yep, you read that right—even indoors. Sunscreen is a VITAL component to skin care. Thankfully, so many products have it built right in, which saves you an extra step. Outside, make sure to reapply often, and limit direct exposure to the sun for prolonged periods. I know, being tan is cool, but ya know what’s not so cool? Leather skin, wrinkles, and skin cancer.
14. Use vitamin E oil to repair your skin! This is like a miracle product for your hair, skin and nails—it’s super healing for things like cuts and scrapes, and can also help reduce scars. You can find it in lots of forms and in lots of products at drugstore prices.
Whew! Thanks Mama Austin—that’s a lot of wisdom right there! Take it from me, Sassy Sisters…you want to listen to my mom’s advice (I know I will).
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Olay . The opinions and text are all mine.