MY GIRLS! If you just clicked on this and you’re like “colla-what now?!” – well, you’re exactly where I was just a little while ago. I feel like collagen is such a huge buzzword in beauty products, but I have never actually known what it is, what it does, or what all da HYPE is about. Somebody in the comments let me know that I’m not the only one lol…
So instead of just blindly buying into it, I decided to do some research – and y’all, it turns out this collagen stuff is for REAL! Here are the top 5 benefits I found:
1. COLLAGEN HELPS YOUR SKIN, HAIR, AND NAILS.
Y’all know I was immediately pulled in by this! I saw “healthier hair” and was like “OKAY YEP TAKE MY MONEY” haha! Did y’all know that collagen makes up 70% of the protein in your skin? Yep! The proteins in your body are basically what hold you together, so the higher your collagen level, the more healthy and youthful your hair and skin not only look, but actually ARE. SUCH a great anti-aging tip!
2. COLLAGEN PROMOTES HEALTHY DIGESTION.
Collagen powder contains a bunch of healthy amino acids that help your body to digest better.
3. COLLAGEN IS CLEAN.
Collagen powder is non-GMO, has 10 grams of protein per scoop, and is literally just made with one ingredient: straight up collagen! I really liked finding this out, because I’m always trying to get more protein in my diet, but a lot of protein powders add a bunch of unnecessary ingredients that hurt more than they help.
4. COLLAGEN IS MORE THAN JUST SKIN DEEP.
When I first started learning about collagen, I was really only looking at it from a beauty perspective – how’s it gonna help my hair, skin, etc. But it turns out, it also helps your heart, liver, gut, and immune system. Collagen is actually so beneficial to my everyday health that I have started incorporating it into my diet regularly!
I have been using Collagen for Her Collagen Peptide Powder – it’s so easy to blend into a smoothie or even add to baked goods. I like adding it to my coffee too, or to hot cocoa! (With a swirl of Coconut Milk Reddiwhip on top too?! it’s unreal!) You can get creative with it! You can also grab them in capsule form, OR you can get a flavored powder (matcha is my fave)! The sticks are so convenient, too – they mix really easy with both cold and hot liquids. You can get a free mud mask with your purchase with code DANI.
I have started playing around with more recipes and I am LOVING this one from Lemons and Basil blog! I’ll include the quick recipe below, but also go check out Kaylee’s full post because it has loads of great info, too.
Collagen Cinnamon Vanilla Latte
- 1 cup almond milk
- 2-3 packets stevia
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup strong brewed coffee hot
- 1 scoop Collagen For Her
- Optional: top with whipped cream and additional ground cinnamon
- Add almond milk, stevia, vanilla extract and cinnamon to small mason jar.
- Carefully tighten the lid on the mason jar, then shake vigorously for 45-60 seconds or until well combined and frothy.
- Once well combined, remove lid on mason jar and heat in microwave for 45 seconds.
- Add hot brewed coffee to clean mug, stir in one scoop of Collagen for Her, then whisk until collagen powder has dissolved and mixed with coffee.
- Pour warmed cinnamon vanilla almond milk into coffee mug, stir to combine then top with whipped cream if desired and ground cinnamon.
Have you hopped onto the collagen bandwagon yet? It’s so worth it! Let me know what recipes you find!